When businesses and people started using video calling for the first time, Skype was one of the earliest sharks in the market. It was launched in 2003 and managed to stay relevant for a long period of time.
It was so successful, that it was ought by Microsoft in 2011 and that just speaks volumes about Skype’s success.
However as the technology saw more advancements, newer platforms for video conferencing with better features were launched. As of 2021, Microsoft also ended majority support for Skype and decided to focus on Teams instead.
Skype lost its touch and the users shifted their bases elsewhere.
It has been very hard to delete your account on SKype in the past. It is still not very easy but there have been some improvements in the process.
If you want to close your account on Skype, you can follow the steps down below to do so easily.
Thing To Note Before deleting Skype Account
There are some important points to keep in mind regarding your Skype account and data before you go through the lengthy procedure of closing your account.
Reading these points will make you aware of the changes after deleting the account and what data you need to back up in order to make sure that you do not lose sensitive information. Here is what you should remember.
- Make sure you take a backup of all your important data before you delete your account on Skype.
- Inform all your important contacts that you will no longer be available on Skype. This is a vital step if you regularly used Skype for communication.
- The Skype account is connected to Microsoft account and comes as a package with other Microsoft apps. In order to delete your account on Skype, you will have to delete the entire Microsoft account. This action will lead to you losing access to other Microsoft apps like Xbox, Outlook, and other Microsoft Office apps.
- Deleting your account on Skype does not cancel your subscription that is scheduled for auto-renewal. Make sure that you discontinue your subscription by canceling it so that you do not get charged every month for something that you do not even use anymore.
- You can get a refund from Skype if you cancel your subscription. Make sure that you ask for it when you cancel the subscription.
- You cannot delete the Skype account through any app on any device. You can only do so through the web browser. You can use the web browser both on PC and mobile as per your convenience.
If you have read all the terms and conditions carefully, you can now go to the next section to find the steps on how to delete your account on Skype.
How to Delete your account on Skype?
- Follow this link for the account deletion page on Skype.
- Log in to your account with the correct email address and password.
- Due to extra verification formalities, now you will have to enter the code sent to you on your alternative email or phone number that was registered with the account.
- Enter the code in the designated space.
- Click on the blue button labeled Verify
- You will see the terms and conditions page next.
- Read everything very carefully and click on Next to proceed.
- You will be now redirected to a verification page where you have to place a tick mark on each check box next to the consequences. This is done to make sure that you understand the losses that you will face from your action on the account.
- You will see a drop-down menu listed with reasons.
- From the list, choose a reason why you want to delete your account.
- Click on Mark Account For Closure
- You will now get confirmation email and text on the alternate contacts provided.
- Your account will be placed for deletion and the process will be started.
- The account will be deleted after 60 days.
How to cancel the auto-renewal of your subscription?
Before deleting the account, you should make sure to disable the automatic renewal of your subscription and cancel the subscription.
All the unused amount will be refunded as Skype Credit
Here is how you can do it.
- Follow the link to go to the homepage on Skype.
- Log in to your account with the correct credentials.
- At the bottom of the page, click on Billing and Payment.
- Click on Credit Auto Recharge.
- Click on Disable.
- Your subscription will be canceled and your money will be refunded as Skype credit only.
Can I use my Skype Credit after I delete my account?
Unfortunately, you can use the Skype credit only when your account is in use but you can transfer the money to your account. It is recommended to use all the credits on your account before you delete the account to avoid losing any money.
You can get a refund on Skype credits to your original payment method added to the account. For this, you need to make sure that your original payment method is still connected to the account or the payment will fail.
How can I get back into my Skype account after I deleted it?
Skype offers a 60-day recovery period after you start the process of deleting your account. You can log in to your account during this period and the deletion of the account will be canceled.
However, after the sixty days of recovery period have passed, you will not be able to recover your account.
Therefore, when you make decisions like this, you should be aware of the recovery period and deletion procedure of the account you are about to delete.
The most important thing is to make sure that you want to delete the account because when you delete a Skype account, you are also losing privileges to other Microsoft products connected to your account.
Therefore, this is not a decision that you want to take in a haste. It should always be well thought out.
Like This Post? Checkout More