WeChat is probably the most advanced messaging app that originated in China. Tencent has designed it to be a social media platform, messenger, and payment gateway all in one.
With the expansion of the company, the platform is now available in 17 languages and enjoys a user base of around 1.2 billion active users monthly.
WeChat is no doubt very popular in China and is marketed as an indigenous platform in the country which actually helps its popularity in China but the rest of the world does not feel the same connection to the platform. There are many people outside China who started using the platform just for experimentation.
However, some major features on WeChat that make it unique are only available in China. As the platform originated in China, a lot of other support is available to WeChat in China. For example, the majority of Payment gateways available in China are supported by WeChat. This is, however, not possible in other countries.
There are also several other issues that make the platform distasteful if you think about it. It is compulsory under Chinese government laws for WeChat to share user data with the government. The platform is rated really low when it comes to safety and encryption.
If you are one of the users on the platform and do not wish to continue, you can follow the sections down below to find the steps on how to delete your account on WeChat.
Things To Note Before Deleting WeChat Account
It is important to understand what happens to your data and information when you delete your account on any platform.
Here is what you should remember when you decide to delete your account on WeChat
- Your profile will be deleted and will not be visible to anyone on the platform.
- The users on the platform will not be able to contact you through the platform anymore unless you have provided them with alternative means of communication.
- Your account will not be deleted in an instant. It takes up to 60 days after you submit the request to get the account deleted.
- All the conversations that you had with others on the platform, will be deleted permanently and even you will not be able to access them.
- You will lose all the media that you shared on the platform.
- All your personal information will be deleted after 60 days to the point of no recovery.
- You will not get any refunds for the subscriptions canceled halfway. Make sure that you use the account for the full duration of the subscription before you delete the account.
- Deleting the account will not cancel the subscription you have on the platform. Cancel the subscription before you delete the account so that you do not get billed for the subscription after you delete your account.
After reading all these terms and conditions, if you still want to delete your account, you can follow the next section for steps on how to do that easily.
How to delete your WeChat account?
method 1: Through the Mobile app
- Launch the app on the device that you prefer
- Log in to your account if in any case you are not already logged in
- Move to the bottom of the home page, click on Me
- Scroll down to click on Settings
- On the top of the Settings tab, click on Account Security
- Scroll down to click on WeChat Security Center
- At the bottom of the page, click on Account Cancellation
- At the bottom of the page, click on Request Cancellation
- You will see the terms and conditions page next.
- Click on Next to confirm your selection
- Click on Agree and Confirm Cancellation
- The account will be deleted after the grace period is over
method 2: Via Email
If you are unable to delete the account through the mobile app, you can try sending an email to customer support at WeChat.
Here is how you can do it.
- Open the registered email that you made the WeChat account with.
- Compose a new email.
- Enter the recipient as email@example.com.
- Enter the subject as Request to Delete the Account.
- In the body of the email, explain that you wish to get rid of your WeChat account and request the assistance of customer service support on the same. Also, make sure to enter the identifying information related to your account for easy identification.
- Click on Send.
- Expect an email response from the team at WeChat. They will assist you to delete your account and inform you of the steps that you need to take.
Alternative to deleting your WeChat account
If you are not sure that you want to delete your account but are not going to use the account for a while, you can choose to deactivate your account for a while.
In WeChat terms, you can call it disabling or freezing
Here is how you can do this
- Launch the app on your device and log in to your account if you are not already logged in.
- Move to the bottom of the homepage and click on Me.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on Account Security.
- Click on WeChat Security Center.
- Click on Freeze account.
- Click on Freeze once again to confirm.
If you choose to freeze your account instead of deleting it, the advantages that you enjoy are that you can log back in whenever you wish and you will not lose any data from the account.
FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
You get a grace period of 60 days during which you can log in to your account and get back into your WeChat account without any data losses. After the 60 days period has passed, unfortunately, you will not be able to get back into your account. Even if you make a new account with the same email, you will not have any access to the previous information from the account.
Freezing your account on WeChat is a great option for people who are not going to use their account for an extended period of time. However, if you use this too many times to toggle between active and inactive, your account will be disabled on the grounds of suspicious activity. You can still get in touch with the customer support team at WeChat to ask for their help on the matter.
Like This Post? Checkout More