The most dreaded thing on the internet for any avid user is the rotating circle with the constant display which reads “Loading”. When you are looking for entertainment, the worst thing that can happen is, you not being able to access the platform at all.
Roku is a great platform to stream free, live, and premium TV content all in one place. To top that, they have a great loading screen with a dancing logo and great sound effects but this same screen can become really irritating when you are not able to get past it.
This can happen due to a variety of reasons. Some of which are very hard to identify if you are not a professional. This can be very unsettling and leave you wanting to identify what the issue is.
The most common place that people look for solutions to their problems these days is Google and if you are on this page, you are most certainly looking for a reason why are you not able to access the TV content and are instead just looking at a loading screen.
We have made a list of the reasons that can cause this issue and have also provided tentative solutions to answer your question of How to fix if Roku is stuck on the loading screen?
We have combined the solutions from the Roku community and tried to provide you with the most upvoted solutions that have worked for the other users.
Follow through with the sections ahead to get clarity on this issue.
What are the reasons that can cause Roku to be stuck on the loading screen?
There is not just one reason that can be used to explain why your Roku might not be working. There are different issues with different devices and therefore, the solutions for each will also differ significantly.
Let’s see what reasons can cause loading issues for Roku.
- Internet Problems: We know that you are pretty confident that you have a good internet connection or else, you would have been busy fixing the connectivity issues rather than being on this page.
However, you will be surprised that most of the time, when there is an issue with something connected to the internet, poor connection is to be blamed. Therefore, it is always a good idea to start here when you are stuck at the loading screen.
- SD Card Corruption: if you have a model of Roku that allows you to enter an SD card, then sometimes, this can be the root of your problem. If the SD card that you have entered into the device is corrupt, this can cause you to be stuck on the loading screen and you will not be able to access any features.
- Remote Batteries Exhausted: this is again a very simple issue and it might seem very silly but this happens a lot when you are trying to access the device with a remote that actually has dead batteries. It is a great idea to keep a check on the batteries in your devices that are used regularly.
- USB Power Issues: if you are using your Roku device with only the USB power connected to the TV, it can cause your device to not function properly. In such cases, the Roku device struggles to get enough power to continue smooth function. At a glance, it may seem like the USB is getting enough power to the device because it turns on and you can see the light but then it struggles to function and you may face problems like being stuck on the loading screen.
- Game Interference: there are some games that are causing many users to find their Roku stuck on the loading screen. If there is a particular game that you are playing on your switch and the problem on the Roku device has suddenly appeared after the gameplay, there is a chance that your game is affecting the optimal functioning of Roku.
- Software Problems: if none of the above problems are affecting your Roku device and still you are stuck on the loading screen, it may be an indication of a software issue with your device. This can be due to an update or some bug. These kinds of problems are generally hard to catch for non-professionals.
- Hardware Problems: it is possible that some part of your Roku device is not functioning optimally. This is an issue that can affect any device no matter what model you buy and how new it was. Sometimes, such issues occur with the hardware and then you may face problems with the device.
How to Fix “Roku is Stuck On The Loading Screen” Issue?
We have talked about all the issues that might be causing your Roku device to malfunction and get stuck on the beautiful but now annoying loading screen.
Now let us talk about what solutions have helped other users to get their device back on track and their favorite show back on TV.
Fix 1: Internet Problems
If the problem with your Roku device is connectivity, make sure that all the internet cables are properly connected and the Wifi connection that you are using is working fine. You can use an internet speed meter application or use some other device connected to the same internet router.
Roku almost always informs you of a connectivity issue if there is any by displaying on the screen that the device is not connected to the internet but sometimes you may not get such a warning. It is always a prudent move to check if the internet connection is up to the mark.
Even if you are sure that the connection is fine, you should still attempt to disconnect and then reconnect the internet just to make sure.
Fix 2: SD Card Corruption
The Roku device is not equipped to deal with an SD card that is corrupt or seems to have an issue. This can lead to a halt in the further actions of your Roku device and hence you will see a loading screen that is stuck.
To solve this issue, it is advised that you remove the SD card and use another one. However, there are certain steps that you need to follow in order to make sure that you do not harm your device in the process.
- Unplug the Roku device from any power outlets before you begin removing the SD card from the device.
- Now carefully, eject the SD card from the Roku device and then connect the power to the device once again.
- Now you can turn on the device to see if it is functioning properly. If the device starts working, insert the SD card once again to see if the Sd card was the cause of the problem.
- If the device stops working again after inserting the SD card, you can be sure that the problem lies with the SD card.
- Remove the previous SD card and then insert a new one. Make sure to scan the new SD card for potential threats before you insert it into the Roku device.
Fix 3: Remote Batteries Exhausted
This is probably the easiest problem to solve when you are having issues with your Roku device.
It is quite possible that the batteries in your Roku remote may have been exhausted due to excessive use. Therefore, it is very important to check your device batteries at regular intervals.
If you find that the batteries are weak, replace the batteries with new ones and you are all set.
Fix 4: USB Power Issues
Some people use their Roku device through the TV power and do not connect it to a separate outlet. The device may seem to turn on but you will not be able to use the device with its full functions because it is not getting enough power.
The solution to this problem is also very simple, make sure that your Roku device is getting enough power from a separate power outlet. Do not rely on the TV power through the USB. This seemed to solve the problem for some users.
Fix 5: Game Interference
In a very interesting turn of events, many users have discovered a software bug on Roku due to which the games on your Nintendo Switch can cause the Roku device to malfunction. Many users have reported that their Roku was working fine until they played a game on their Nintendo Switch and now the Roku is stuck on the loading screen.
There are two solutions that can cure this issue for you.
- Make sure that both your Roku device and the Nintendo Switch are updated regularly. Since this is a software bug, it is important to have the latest software on your devices.
- If both the devices are up to date, then the only option you have is to put the Nintendo switch on airplane mode while you are using your Roku device. If a particular game that you are playing is causing the issue, remove that game from the system to avoid the problems with Roku.
If you are reluctant to remove the game, putting the switch on airplane mode will work just fine.
Fix 6: Software Problems
Sometimes, the software on a device suddenly malfunctions and there is no way to predict it. All you can do in such cases is, reset or reboot your device before you contact a professional and hope that it works.
This solution comes with some disadvantages also as it leads to the deletion of all your preferences and settings, therefore, people only use this option as a last resort.
For the majority of software bugs, the device reset seems to work.
Here are the instructions to Reboot your Roku device
- Find the Home button and press it five times.
- Press the Up button
- Find the Rewind button to press it Twice
- Now press the Fast Forward button also Twice
- Now the Roku device will turn off
- Turn it on again.
There is one more way to reboot your Roku
- From the Home Screen, navigate to the Settings menu.
- Click on Settings.
- Then click on System
- Click on System Restart
- Click on Restart
- The Roku device will turn off and then turn back on.
Fix 7: Factory Reset your Roku
If Restart does not solve your problem and you again see the loading screen, you will have to use the option to factory reset your device to get rid of the bug.
Here is how you can Factory Reset your Roku
- Press the Home button on your Roku device.
- Navigate to the Settings menu and then click on System.
- Click on the option that reads Advanced System Settings.
- Click on the Factory Reset option and then click on Factory Reset Everything.
- You will see a confirmation prompt. Confirm your action and then follow the steps on the screen
The above steps for the Factory reset are only possible if you can access the menus on the Roku device. If you cannot do that, you will have to use the Hard Reset method. Here is how you can initiate a Hard Reset on your Roku device.
- Read the instruction manual that you may have received with your device to locate the hard reset button on your device. If you do not have the instruction manual, locate a pinhole on your device. The button rests inside that hole.
- You need a safety pin or a pin that is used to bring out the sim tray in the mobile phone to reach and press the reset button
- Once you reach the button with the pin, press it and hold for 30 seconds.
- You will see changes in the indicator light on Roku which will last for the reset process. Now the device will reset and you can again set all the preferences on your Roku.
Fix 8: Hardware Problems
If no solution has worked for you, chances are that the hardware of your Roku device has encountered a fault and needs to be replaced or rectified.
Hardware issues can not be solved without the help of a professional and in this case, the only thing that you can do is contact a professional and hope that they resolve the issue for you.
There are many problems that can cause your Roku to be stuck on the loading screen. There are solutions listed above that have helped some other users with the problems on their devices.
If none of these solutions work for you, you should refrain from meddling with the device. This can cause further issues that may not even be in the reach of a professional. If you are not sure how to solve the issue with your device, always contact a professional.
We hope that this article was helpful.
Like This Post? Checkout More