Since you are already here reading the following post on “How to fix Spectrum router blinking red light?”. My guess is that your internet connection has stopped working properly and you need a solution to get it fixed as soon as possible.
And hence, without wasting anymore of your valuable time, let us head straight to the part where we discuss, “Why the Charter Spectrum router has been blinking red” as well as how to “Fix the issue behind Spectrum router blinking red”.
Be it any of the reasons or causes as well as their distinct solutions and fixes. We will cover it up all here in the following Troubleshoot article.
Reasons behind Spectrum router blinking red light
Well, before we start with the main business at hand which is to fix the particular issue of your Spectrum router light blinking red.
Let us first have a look at the few reasons or causes behind such an issue to occur in the first place. Knowing about the causes beforehand will help you understand how to get going with and around the solutions much better and much more efficiently.
Reason 1: Local Internet connection outage
Well, this is one of the most common causes out there which might result in your router lights to blink red. At times, due to a storm or power outage or a server malfunction, there might be issues with your local internet connection line.
As a result of which the connectivity from your router or modem to the main server providing you internet cannot be established.
When such an issue occurs, it is best to wait it out for two, three days during which your ISP provider should take care of it on their own.
Reason 2: Issues with your home cables
If the issue is not something as mentioned above which is more widespread to a locality or region.Then the next guess would be that there might be some issues or problems with the lines and cables at home or installed just right outside your home.
There might be some loose connections somewhere or some kind of wear and tear somewhere in the cables, stopping your router from being able to establish a proper internet connection. In such cases too, your router would start blinking red, indicating a connection error.
Reason 3: Hardware Issues
Apart from damage to your internet cable or an outage, one other thing which may result in your router to blink red would be if it suffers from some kind of hardware or even firmware malfunctions.
Obviously, if it is a hardware issue, I don’t think there is much you can do about it. You would most probably have to call up your Spectrum help desk or ask for professionals to come and have a look at your modem or router.
However, if it is something to do with your firmware or so. Then, a simple reboot or even factory reset may do the trick there.
Be it any of the reasons, we will have a look at all the possible solutions out there in the following section mentioned below, using which you should be able to troubleshoot your way to fixing the issue of your Spectrum router blinking red quite easily.
Top 5 ways to fix Spectrum Router blinking red light
Fix 1: Call up your Spectrum HelpDesk and wait it out incase of ‘Outage’
As have been already mentioned above. If it is an issue of a local outage problem, then there is just no way you could fix it. Instead, calling up your ISP provider and asking them up for what is the problem and how long it will take to fix, are probably two very best options out there.
Usually if the problem is just a minor one and nothing very major. Then, it should take not more than 24 hours for your internet connection to be back.
However, if the issue is something much major, then it might be a good idea to keep a tap on how long will it take for the connection to revive by calling up your Spectrum helpdesk from time to time.
Also, if you are not very comfortable with calling up the customer care directly and would like to stick to just text, then there is a different approach to check for Outages as well. For this you can simply follow the steps as shown below:
- Firstly, you will need to head to Spectrum’s official website by clicking here.
- Once you are at the official website, go down and click on the “Check Outages” button as can be seen in the image below.
- After clicking on the Check Outages button, a chat box should pop up in the right hand side as shown below, and click on the “Am I in an outage?” option.
- Then, it should ask you to login to your account after which you can simply chat through your queries and get them answered simultaneously.
Fix 2: Check your router cables
This is quite obvious, and I am pretty sure most of you out here must have already done this at the very beginning when the problem showed up in the first place.
Still, since I am listing out all the possible solutions out there to fix up the issue of blinking red light on your router. This solution too must be addressed equally.
Hence if somehow, after calling up your Spectrum customer service, you find out that there is no issue like a local outage or problem at their end.
Then most probably there is a loose connection somewhere or some kind of damage to the wire connected to your router at some place.
You should therefore, check your wires as well as your connections thoroughly, before heading to the next mentioned solutions as listed below.
Fix 3: Power Cycle your modem and router
If the problem is not caused at the provider’s end or at a local level, then you might have to take things in your own hands. For this method, you simply need to follow the steps as shown below and you might be able to fix the issue in just no time.
- Firstly, switch off the power supply to both your modem and router.
- Then, wait for around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Next, plug in the modem to the power supply and switch it on.
- Wait for 2 to 3 minutes and then plug in your router to the power supply too.
- After both the devices are connected to the power supply, wait for your modem as well as your router lights to turn into their normal status.
- Once you are convinced that all the panel lights are blinking and glowing normally. Next, try to connect your PC or mobile phone to the router connection and try browsing.
Fix 4: Restarting your Router Network
This is more or less similar to a more non-invasive factory reset. Although, I am saying similar to a factory reset, it does not in any way take back your router to its factory settings.
It is more in between a reboot and reset to be more precise. Hence, saving up on changes but still giving a reset-like feel to your router, just so that it can go back to the time before any kind of issues persisted.
To restart your router network, simply follow the steps as shown below:
- Firstly, plug off the power supply to your Spectrum modem and then remove the batteries as well.
- Then, after a few seconds switch off the power supply to your router as well and let both the devices stay idle and cool down for some time. Around 2 to 3 minutes should be good enough.
- Once the devices have cooled down. Next, plug in the batteries to the modem and switch on the power supply to both the modem and router.
- Let the devices be for at least 2 to 3 minutes, so that the rebooting process can take place on its own.
- Once the devices have been rebooted and all the status lights have started glowing normally, try connecting to the Internet and see whether the issue still persists.
Fix 5: Resetting your Router
For the very last procedure at hand, we have with us the Resetting your Spectrum router fix. With this method, what you will do is just factory reset your Spectrum router to the time when it was first set-up. Using this method, will undo any changes you might have made to your router to the time when it was first installed.
For this method, all you need to do is simply look out for the “Reset” button on your router device and press-hold it for at least 10 seconds.
The button in most models out there is usually found at the back. If there are no button, you might even find a small hole, where you have to push in a pointed pin like device to reset your device.
Once you have held the reset button for at least 10 seconds, let go and wait for another few minutes to let it start and initialize on its own. Once that is done, restart your router device and see if the problem still exists.
Spectrum Router blinking red Vs solid red
Well, different light colors mean different things in terms of your Spectrum router. Similarly, even different patterns of your LED lights blinking or solid in nature might indicate different things.
For that reason, it is very important to know the difference between these different LED color indicators as well as their blinking patterns to know for sure what might be the problem or the source of the problem.
Below, I have listed out all the different colors that may be available on your Spectrum router, as well as what each one of them indicate.
- Red Light Blinking – Router can’t establish an Internet Connection
- Solid Red Light – Critical issues, Hardware Malfunction or damage, Cannot operate normally
- Blue Light Blinking – Router is trying to boot and connect to Internet
- Solid Blue Light – Connected to the Internet and working properly
- Red and Blue Light blinking simultaneously – Firmware Upgrade and Updates taking place. When in such a status, it must be noted that there are no interruptions.
FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
All you need to do to fix the issue of red light blinking on your Spectrum modem is follow the above mentioned fixes like checking for outages, looking out for loose connections and damage to wire, power cycle, restarting your router and resetting it.
If your Spectrum router status lights are solid red. Then, there might be an issue with the router hardware itself. If so, then calling up your Spectrum help desk or their technician might be the best possible solution.
Like This Post? Checkout More